search instagram arrow-down

Stephanie Ying Hawthorne

Stephanie

Stephanie

I adore the night time; when the rest of the world is asleep, I chat with the moon. Blogging about life and its lessons, with an occasional glimpse of things I love. ❀

View Full Profile →

what i ponder.

Posts so far.

What's your email so you don't miss out?

Join 657 other followers

Follow late night reflecting on WordPress.com

in case you missed it.

instagram.

twitter.

disclosure.

Stephanie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

She is also an affiliate for another program, imSTONE Gifts.

For more information, see this page.

Advertisements

We made this Home Chef meal back in June and it was Korean Fried Chicken. This is the first intermediate level kit that we’ve prepared. We’re really advancing our skills, haha.

By far, one of our favorites already! As usual, here are the ingredients:

• 2 Green Onions
  • 5 oz. Edamame
  • 13 oz. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • ¾ cup Jasmine Rice
  • 6 fl. oz. Canola Oil
  • ⅓ cup Tempura Mix
  • 3 fl. oz. Sweet Chili Sauce
  • 1 tsp. Multicolor Sesame Seeds
  • ¼ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
  • 0.406 fl. oz. Tamari Soy Sauce

Price:

For the price of $17, it’s not too horrible to spend on this kit. I really liked it, so I consider it worth the effort and money.

Disclaimer: My final product does not look as pictured in regards to the presentational aspect of it, but you can bet that it tasted just as good as it looked!

Let’s Get to Cooking!

The first few steps we did were cut the green onions and pat the chicken until it was dry. We also put the rice on the stove to start cooking while we were prepping everything else. Then, we placed the chicken in the tempura mix and coated it.

Rice just doing its thing.

We all know what raw chicken looks like, so I’ll spare you pre-cooked appearance of it! Haha. So, into the pan it goes!

For the canola oil, we put it in a deep skillet to fry the chicken in.

The chicken is at about the halfway mark and cooking just fine enough. Although, some did cook quicker than others. We decided to cut the chicken up smaller so they wouldn’t be as large if we just cut the two chicken breasts in half. Plus, it looks like a lot more than just four larger slices of chicken!

When the rice cooked for about 10 minutes, we threw in half of the green onions and the edamame beans to cook for the remaining 10 or so minutes left. We poured the sweet chili sauce, pepper flakes, and the other half of the green onions into a bowl to coat the chicken once it was finished on the stove.

Now, our chicken is golden and glorious.

Next, we mix the chicken together in the sauce! It doesn’t look like a lot of sauce, but it did lightly coat the chicken. I think it could have used just a tad bit more, but I liked that it was a decent amount of sauce to where it didn’t drench the chicken.

Now that I think about it, we didn’t use the soy sauce packets, so maybe that had an effect on it? Probably, but disregard that detail, haha. We decided to leave it out because we liked the sweet chili as is. Sometimes soy sauce just makes some things too salty for my liking. But, to each their own!

Now that we’ve coated as much as we can, and the rice should be ready by now, here’s how it turned out:

As the instructions said, I had to garnish it with the sesame seeds. Really, they just makes allll the dishes look fancy if they’re sprinkled on! I’ve wanted to keep an eye out for this dish in stores again because the perfect spice ratio, but I haven’t seen it lately. Sadness.

Taste: I love sweet chili sauce, and the crispiness of the chicken was so, so good! I enjoyed the edamame and rice combination as well.

Rating:

Heat level:

The rice was so much and extremely filling that we still had a little left over, which I ate the rest of it the next day because I always crave carbs! Haha. The heat level was pretty spicy, but it wasn’t overbearing. I think it had the perfect spice to flavor ratio overall!

Recently, I made some orange chicken from scratch that I can’t wait to share with you all soon! That meal turned out even better, and I’m somewhat proud of how well it turned out on the first try especially!

Have a lovely day and rest of the week!

Advertisements

14 comments on “Food with My Dude #7: Korean Fried Chicken.

1. Cordelia. says:

WHAT the final result looks so good! And woah, I’ve never even heard of combining edamame and rice? Damn! As usual, love this series, I wish packets like these were available here!

1. Stephanie says:

Yessss, so yum! It’s the first time I’ve heard of combining them, too! Thank you; I hate that you don’t have these where you are! Is there any other similar meal kit companies where you are? I guess you’d just have to go a difficult route and portion out the ingredients on your own? That would take a lot more work, but maybe!

Liked by 1 person

1. Cordelia. says:

Not really! Right? Go the old school way but urgh the problem with cooking for 1 is food goes bad so quick and you don’t exactly want to eat the same thing every night either.

1. Stephanie says:

Oh, man. I hope they expand their business someday then so you can try them! That’s definitely true. Some meals just get old super quick and you’ll wanna switch things up!

Liked by 1 person

2. Jinjer says:

MAN that looks good!!!!! I’m not comfortable frying stuff in oil like that. I’m a little bit scared of it and don’t know how you know when it’s hot enough and when the food is done. It simply baffles me.

1. Stephanie says:

It was soooo good! That’s fair, hopefully you’ll give it a try sometime! I just estimate how long the cook time is and wing it! Haha. I’m a bit riskier when it comes to taking the chance on it!

My husband is always worried about fried meat being undercooked, so he had me buy a instant read thermometer a few days ago for his sake! I guess you learn after a trial and error with it, such as cutting the largest piece in the middle to see what the inside looks like. That helps to give you an idea!

Liked by 1 person

1. Jinjer says:

Thanks for the great tips!

Liked by 1 person

3. ayrgalaxy says:

This looks really good I never knew stuff like this came in a kit, that would be great to buy and see what goes into the recipe before trying it yourself. I love it.

1. Stephanie says:

Absolutely! It definitely let me a practice a little with chicken deep frying, so it was a fun experience!

Liked by 1 person

4. Hunida says:

Mmm, looks tasty, Stephanie! I’ve never seen edmame being put into rice before, how creative! & I agree that soy sauce can oftentimes make meals too salty.

So glad you enjoyed this one so much! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. Brittany says:

Ok now you are really making me want to try Home Chef!! I could use some Korean Fried Chicken in my life 😂

Hope your week is going well so far Stephanie! ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. Stephanie says:

Haha, I’m with you! If you ever come across one of the meal kits, I think they’re worth trying! Thanks, Brittany. Hope your week is lovely!

6. this looks delicious & it’s plated so beautifully 😍