search instagram arrow-down

Stephanie Ying Hawthorne

Stephanie Ying

Stephanie Ying

I adore the night time; when the rest of the world is asleep, I chat with the moon. Blogging about life and its lessons, with an occasional glimpse of things I love.

View Full Profile →

what i ponder.

Posts so far.

What's your email so you don't miss out?

Join 612 other followers

Follow late night reflecting on WordPress.com

in case you missed it.

instagram.

twitter.

disclosure.

Stephanie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

She is also an affiliate for another program, imSTONE Gifts.

For more information, see this page.

Advertisements

Hi, hope you’re having a happy Tuesday! I didn’t mean to be so late on posting, I really wanted to post earlier but I had to get some worked finished! Also, disclaimer: my featured picture is actually from the previous weekend, but it was pretty cool to use!

This past weekend was crammed packed with so many places of Nashville that I just have to break up into two parts!

Not pictured: Broadway, Joe’s Crab Shack, Starbucks, or Opry Mills Mall.

This brings us to Saturday morning.

Quick question: have you ever seen a building implode?!

If not, here’s a video of an old dormitory that was imploded at Vanderbilt.

Witnessing this in person was a surreal experience and so much better than watching it on a video! Completely worth waking up “early” on a Saturday for. Actually, 7 AM or so. We did pretty well to make it on time! We were so nervous that we were going to miss it, but we had only a couple of minutes to spare until it actually imploded!

We felt like the the ground was still shaking afterwards from all of the adrenaline that we were feeling!

Here’s the video footage from an aerial view that shows the building up close and personal! It’s crazy they could get such a clear and awesome shot!

After making a quick Starbucks pit stop to let the air and dust settle down, we then decided to show Stephen’s friends the Parthenon. It’s only about our second time going within the past few months, but the exhibits are constantly changing!

Last time, there was a mosaic exhibit. This time around, it was cool photos of people with instruments! No faces were shown in them, so it was a pretty cool artistic take! There actually was just one face, but it was on a drum set, ironically.

This is actually the first time I’ve ever seen the side of the statue. I don’t know why we never went over to this area?!

Side note: Out of all the times I’ve visited, I had no idea that there was a back room that we could enter to get to this room. I think it’s mainly the area for kids to do arts and crafts stuff, but this cool statue set up was here!

Stephen told me the top far right one is me… because evidently, I like to punch everything. He may be half wrong [or right] on that.

Anyway, it was around lunch time and we hadn’t eaten anything for breakfast. So, we went to try Hattie B’s Hot Chicken.

We waited for about 20 or so minutes standing outside, only partially under the awning for the first half of the wait. The heat was crazy and we were just getting hungry and ansty at this time since it was around 12 and we hadn’t eaten any food.

My hot chicken sandwich with a heat level of hot.

Stephen’s friends ordered a single tender with the Shut the Cluck Up!!! level of heat. It was absolutely yummy. I was slightly disappointed that my hot level didn’t have enough heat for me, but it was good overall. Stephen ordered the same, but stuck to the mild heat level.

I certainly didn’t pick the sandwich up and eat it because I would have made a huge mess of myself. Instead, I just cut it up with a knife and ate it with a fork. I know, I know, not the way that a sandwich should be eaten, but that’s also how I tend to stain and ruin some of my clothes!

I should’ve gotten the tenders, but the sandwich was good overall! I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily inclined to pick hot chicken again to eat on an even hotter day, but I would go back again for sure.

We passed these cool graffiti murals on our way back to the apartment to hang out and recover. I mean, we willingly choose to wake up early on a Saturday! Haha, it was a rad way to kick off the day, definitely the best way to start off our weekend!

We spent a few hours playing some games and resting. Around 4 PM, we decided to go to Topgolf, which is basically a driving range. They really gave us a runaround. First walking in, they have a greeter stationed to let people know the wait time. This guy told us it would be about a 3 hour wait, but we can go to the check-in to put our names down on the list.

Stephen gave them his information, so we decided to head to the mall while we waited since we didn’t have to physically be at Topgolf. Well, we were about 10 minutes out from the place when they texted Stephen and told him that our bay is almost ready and asked if we were ready to go. At first, we thought this was a mistake. So, he tried calling the place to find out if this was correct. Curse automation because it prattled off a handful of menus that he eventually gave up and we decided to just go back!

Funny thing, we actually got to go and golf! They ended up changing the time and told Stephen it was just an hour and a half wait, but ours would be ready within three minutes. I suppose everyone else on the waiting list was out and about in Nashville, so they were bumped down?

Who knows, but lucky for us!

They didn’t have left-handed golf clubs, and I was too socially awkward to ask the server for one. Plus, how the heck was I supposed to know right off which club is the better one to use to request, if possible?

Eventually, I found out that the second to last row, the 5 and 7 were the clubs that I needed to use.

Stephen was pretty good at hitting them at a long distance! I think he was pretty close to winning one of the games. The first game, I was absolutely terrible and scored only 10 points with having 20 tries!! We purchased the 2 hour time slot so we could enjoy our time and not rush.

The second game, though, I started off with 35 points within my first three hits! It levels the points and fairness pretty well for people to score easier. Clearly, I was the underdog to win this round. I think if you hit multiple times in a row, it doubles and triples the initial target value, which is how I lucked into getting so many points the second time around!

Asian Sesame wings flavored, yum.
I just love how the sky changes.

This was a pretty view to end the day with. Aslo, I can definitely see how people can just drop a whole bunch of money at Topgolf without realizing it until the waiter hands you the bill. Crazy prices, but a memorable experiences to enjoy every now and then!

We then decided to rush to the Opry Mills Mall before it closed within an hour because his friends wanted to check out the Fossil store. Now that I’m thinking about it, why did it close at 9 PM on a Saturday? Is that normal or evident that I’m not out that late at a mall?

Evidently the Fossil store in Raleigh closed down- which is such a crime. I didn’t buy anything either, which is a shock! They didn’t have one bag in the store, but hopefully it’ll be there the next time. My other dream bag was still there, so crossing my fingers for a sale on it soon!

How was everyone else’s weekend? Hope your week is going well so far and is just as fun and exciting! Since this is only up until Saturday, I’m going to create another post highlighting what we did on Sunday, which we had such sweet treats to indulge in!

Now, I’ve gotta pack for my Kingsport getaway for tomorrow. Stephen’s staying in Nashville this time around, but we may plan a visit in September so he can visit his friends. My family is planning to spend the day in the Pigeon Forge/the Gatlinburg area, so even more touristy things to post about next week!

Here’s part two if you’re interested in a yummy bowl of ramen or a table of our extravagant milkshakes!

Advertisements

19 comments on “Nashville weekend with Raleigh friends, part one.

1. Mackenzie says:

Woah!!! That building imploding is wild- and to see it in person?!? So crazy!! Thanks for sharing this video.

Hattie B’s looks sooo yummy!!! I empathize about not having enough heat though- rarely are items spicy enough for my liking! Have a wonderful getaway!! Thanks for sharing such a fun few days ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. It was soooo cool! There are cool helicopter shots on Vanderbilt’s website. I’ll try to find it and link it later that really shows up close footage of it!

Righ, where’s the heat in this hot chicken!? Haha, thank you! Can’t wait to catch up and read about your new adventures! Thanks for reading and stopping by! ♡

1. Mackenzie says:

I’d love to see that!!

Aw of course ❤️ I am craving some blog time to catch up more! Maybe in just a couple weeks 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I added the link in the post, so it should show! I just had to watch a few times again, haha. I’m sure you’re so busy with moving and classes that you’ve gotta figure out your blogging groove again! 😊

1. Mackenzie says:

Yay!!!! Yes definitely – once final exams are over I’m excited to spend a few days catching up 🤗

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! Definitely take a little TLC time with everything going on, too!

2. samperez27 says:

I LOVE Hattie B’s – went there two years ago during a visit to Nashville ❤️

1. Hope you loved your time here, it’s such a fun city to explore! 💙

3. healthy says:

Fantastic blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely confused .. Any ideas? Bless you!

Liked by 1 person

1. Sorry, for the delayed reply. WordPress placed your comment in the spam folder for some reason. Anyway, thank you so much for stopping by and reading!

Also, how exciting! I wish you the best on your website and let me know whenever you have it up and running. I’d love to check it out! 🙂 I completely understand. It was so confusing on where to start at first and how to begin. Personally, I opted for the paid plan in WordPress right away just because there are some more features offered. Also, I don’t have the WordPress name in my website name, so that was a big reason why I chose a paid plan.

It really depends on your preference, though. If you want to start off with not paying and seeing how it goes, then go for it! You can always upgrade later as you get familiar with your blog. If you have any other questions, I’d be happy to help with what I can!

Have a wonderful day!

4. ayrgalaxy says:

Whoa that building imploding would definitely be super crazy to see in person! So cool you caught it!
    Is the Parthenon a museum? That looks super awesome.
    I cant help but feel like I’ve heard of Hattie B’s before but not sure.
    Omg we got a top golf here too but I’ve never been to it but it certainly looks fun!
    Hope you have an amazing week!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yeah, we were all super stoked about it! It’s crazy how there was a huge cloud of dust over the vicinity for a few minutes!

Yeah, it’s a small museum! Maybe I’ll get to see the real in Greece someday, so this is close enough! Haha. I think Hattie B’s is a super popular restaurant here in Nashville. I wasn’t too familiar with it beforehand!

Ohhh, you should definitely go to Topgolf someday! It’s so fun and it gives you the chance to laugh at yourself a little. I missed the ball a few times, but definitely a fun and friendly environment!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is going lovely so far as well!

1. ayrgalaxy says:

Oh well I hope you get to go to Greece someday!! 🙂
        I will definitely try Topgolf if I can get my husband to agree xD haha
        Have a great rest of your week! xx

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh, definitely! I was terrible with hitting the golf ball part of the time, but it’s just so fun and free to play! Thank you! 🙂

5. Hunida says:

Whoooa! That building imploding is SO cool. How did you guys know when it was happening?!

I would LOVE to visit the Parthenon, awesome how they often change exhibits. The instruments with no faces is super unique & artistic!

I’ve heard good things about Hattie B.’s & Topgolf!! Lots of people visit Vegas just to go to our new one that opened up. Looks & sounds like a blast!! I didn’t really know how it worked there lol but I’m willing to give it a shot now. 😛

Thanks for sharing with us, Stephanie! What a fun weekend!

1. Stephen’s boss told him about it. I would’ve been so disappointed to miss out on it, haha. It’s definitely a must see attraction if you’re ever in Nashville!

Ahh, I was nervous about going to Topgolf because I didn’t know how it was set up and I’m terrible at golf. Definitely give it a shot sometime, it’s super fun and easy going!

Thank you for reading, Hunida!! Hope you’ve had some wonderful weeks as well!

1. Hunida says:

Oh! That’s so cool! I wonder if you can look online for “building imploding near me” LOL. I would love to see it in action.

I have the exact same worries about Topgolf but, if you enjoyed it, maybe I can, too! I do like mini golf though, lol. 😉

❤ Hope you have the best weekend, babe!

Liked by 1 person

1. Haha, I’ve never thought about trying that, but it would be so neat if that’s a thing!!

And that’s funny, because I get so frustrated with mini golf. In that case, you’ll love Topgolf for sure since about anywhere you hit, you’ll get it in the target area! I’ll be excited to hear your take on it if you ever go!